Madison - St. Clair Record

Wednesday, October 16, 2019

Parents sue Troy homeowners after son's electrocution

By Lhalie Castillo | Dec 5, 2017

EDWARDSVILLE – The parents of a 19-year-old electrocuted while using a vacuum pump at a Troy home allege that the homeowners failed to maintain the outlets in the residence.

Doug Elliot and Dawn Elliot, as independent co-administrators of the estate of Caleb Elliot, deceased, filed a complaint on Nov. 30 in the Madison County Circuit Court against Viola Sexton, Linda Johnson, Rebuilding Together Southwest Illinois, et al., alleging negligence and wrongful death.

According to the complaint, the plaintiffs allege that on Aug. 11, Caleb Elliot was working as an install-helper employee of Viviano Heating & Air Conditioning at Sexton and Jonson's residence. While performing work with a vacuum pump, the decedent was electrocuted and died as a result of his injuries. 

The plaintiffs allege the defendants failed to install a ground fault circuit interrupter on the electrical circuit and failed to inform and warn the decedent and his employer that the electrical outlet and receptacle was improperly wired and/or installed.

The plaintiffs seek damages in an amount of not less than $50,000, plus interest and all other relief that the court may deem just and proper. 

They are represented by Robert P. Marcus of Kujawski Marcus LLC in O'Fallon.

Madison County Circuit Court case number 17-L-1625

Want to get notified whenever we write about Madison County Circuit Court ?

Sign-up Next time we write about Madison County Circuit Court, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

Organizations in this Story

Madison County Circuit Court

More News