Freeburg renter sues landlord after tripping on electrical cords

By Andrea Dearden | May 1, 2012

A Freeburg woman is suing her landlords after tripping over electrical cords allegedly left in a doorway.

Rosemary Crowe filed the complaint April 10 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Robert and Doris Hilmes.

Crowe says he was renting a home on North Potter Street that was owned by the Hilmeses in April 2010. She says Robert Hilmes was repairing the basement of the house when he invited her downstairs to inspect the work he had completed. Crowe claims that on her way back up from the basement she tripped over electrical cords that Hilmes allegedly left across the floor.

Crowe contends she was seriously injured in the fall and was forced to seek medical care. The renter accuses the Hilmeses of negligence and asks for more than $100,000 in damages for medical expenses and court fees.

Crowe is being represented by attorney Matthew A. Marison, of Belleville's Cook, Ysursa, Bartholonew, Brauer & Shevlin law firm.

St. Clair County Circuit Court Case No. 12-L-175

More News

The Record Network