Woman alleges Kmart Corp., Sears failed to warn of clothing's fire risk

By Lhalie Castillo | Jan 16, 2018

BELLEVILLE – A Belleville woman alleges clothing she purchased from Kmart was unreasonably dangerous and caused her suffer injuries when they caught on fire.

Sandra Morrow filed a complaint on Dec. 29 in the St. Clair County Circuit Court against Sears Holdings Publishing Co. LLC and Kmart Corp., alleging strict product liability, breach of express warranty and other counts.

According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges that on April 22, 2016, she was wearing Basic Editions' jackets and pants which she bought from the defendants' store. While using an electric stove in her kitchen on that date, the suit states the Basic Editions clothing suddenly caught fire. The plaintiff claims she suffered severe burns to her face, arms and body and was hospitalized for many weeks. 

The plaintiff alleges the defendants failed to provide sufficient warnings that the subject clothing was associated with an increased risk of catching fire and defectively designed and manufactured the clothing.

The plaintiff seeks damages in excess of the jurisdictional limits of the court, costs of this action and all other relief that the court may deem just and proper. 

She is represented by Reed C. Nelson of Nelson & Nelson Attorneys at Law PC in Belleville.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number 17-L-770

Want to get notified whenever we write about any of these organizations ?

Sign-up Next time we write about any of these organizations, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

Organizations in this Story

Nelson & Nelson Attorneys at Law PC Sears Holdings Corporation St. Clair County Circuit Court

More News

The Record Network