BELLEVILLE – A sister of a man who died after being diagnosed with lung cancer alleges the cancer was caused by asbestos exposure.
Norma Waugh, individually and as special representative of the estate of Charles Dukes, deceased filed a complaint on Oct. 5 in the St. Clair County Circuit Court against Arconic Inc., Crane Co., Dow Chemical Co., et al. alleging negligence.
According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges that during Charles Dukes' employment from 1971 to 1996, he was exposed to and inhaled or ingested asbestos fibers emanating from certain products manufactured, sold, distributed or installed by defendants. The suit states that on or about Jan. 6, 2016, he first became aware that he developed lung cancer, an asbestos-induced disease, and that the disease was wrongfully caused. He died on July 6, 2016, the suit states.
The plaintiff holds Arconic Inc., Crane Co., Dow Chemical Co., et al. responsible because the defendants allegedly negligently included asbestos fibers in their products when adequate substitutes were available and failed to provide adequate warnings and instructions concerning the dangers of working with or around products containing asbestos fibers.
The plaintiff seeks damages of more than $50,000. She is represented by Randy L. Gori of Gori, Julian & Associates PC in Edwardsville.
St. Clair County Circuit Court Case number 17-L-578