Update: Madison County Democrats selected Hillary Clinton as their choice for the Democratic presidential nomination in the County's first caucus-style straw poll by a margin of 47.6 percent to Bernie Sanders 46.2 percent.
Democrats in Madison County will join Iowa voters tonight to be among the first in the nation to express their choice for the Presidential candidate in the 2016 primary election.
Although delegates will not be selected until the March 15 primary election, voters are invited to take part in a caucus-style straw poll at seven different locations. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. with the caucus meeting beginning at 6:30 p.m.
"The Madison County Democratic Party is excited to host a straw poll where voters meet local Democrats and voice their preference for one of the Democratic presidential candidates," stated County Democratic Chairman Allan Napp in a press release.
Napp also stated that the Madison County caucuses will be based on the rules used in Iowa. Results will be released, and be used on official Madison County Democratic Party materials.
Circuit Clerk Mark von Nida, a Democrat, said the straw poll event is a "great opportunity for rank and file Democrats to have a voice in the election.
"Barack Obama's win in Iowa eight years ago gave him national exposuire and created momentum in the early nomination season," von Nida said. "On caucus night we will get to hear from voters in an industrial Midwestern county as well as Iowa."
- Granite City - Granite City Township Building 2060 Delmar Ave.
- Granite City - Neighborhood Social Club, 4168 IL-Highway 162
- Collinsville - American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St.
- Edwardsville - Knights of Columbus, 7132 Marine Road
- Marine - Marine Township Senior Citizen Center, 101 W Silver St.
- East Alton - Machinist Hall Local 660, 161 N Shamrock
- Alton - IBEW Local 649, 3945 N Humbert
Results will be made available on the organization's Facebook page.