A woman has filed suit against Red Lobster after she claims she got food poisoning while eating there.
Roberta McMath claims she became ill after eating at a Red Lobster located at 110 Ludwig Dr. in Fairview Heights on July 17, 2011. McMath visited a physician who diagnosed her with acute gastroenteritis due to food poisoning, according to the complaint filed July 2 in St. Clair County Circuit Court.
Because of her food poisoning, McMath developed severe abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting, which required a trip to the doctors, the suit states. She also lost her mobility, experienced pain and suffering, endured mental anguish, lost the joys and pleasures of her life and incurred medical costs of more than $50,000, the complaint says.
McMath blames Red Lobster for causing her illness, saying it negligently handled, prepared and stored the seafood; failed to properly inspect the seafood; and allowed the seafood to become exposed to bacteria.
In her complaint, McMath is seeking a judgment of more than $50,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems just.
James R. Cantalin of Brown and Crouppen in St. Louis will be representing her.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 13-L-334.