A man has filed suit against his former employer, alleging he was fired after he attempted to file for workers’ compensation benefits for injuries he received from carbon monoxide poisoning.
Don A. Williams claims he was working for defendant Gibco Motor-Express at 7 Twin Lakes Drive in East St. Louis when he endured injuries related to carbon monoxide poisoning.
The poisoning occurred because of poor ventilation at Gibco Motor Express, according to the complaint filed Jan. 9 in St. Clair County Circuit Court.
Williams had attempted to report his concerns about the ventilation to his supervisor, defendant Tom Bryant, and to various government authorities, the suit states.
Following his injuries, Williams attempted to file for workers’ compensation benefits, the suit states. However, on March 3, 2011, Gibco fired Williams, the complaint says.
“Williams’s discharge from his employment with Gibco is causally related to his request for Illinois Worker’s Compensation benefits,” the suit states. “Williams’s termination from his employment with Gibco is causally related to the reports and complaints of the above-referenced illegal activities to his supervisor, Tom Bryant, and to the government entities.”
Because of his termination, Williams claims he lost earnings and benefits and suffered emotional trauma. Williams blames Gibco for causing his injuries, saying the company negligently failed to maintain its property in a safe manner, failed to inspect the premises, failed to warn Williams about the excess of carbon monoxide and failed to install proper ventilation.
In his complaint, Williams is seeking a judgment of more than $250,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems just.
Michael J. Brunton and Mary M. Stewart of Brunton Law Offices in Collinsville will be representing him.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 13-L-18.