A South Carolina man and his wife have filed an asbestos suit 119 defendant corporations, claiming the mesothelioma with which the man was diagnosed was wrongfully caused.
James K. and Marilyn Gray claim James was diagnosed with the disease in April, according to a lawsuit filed Sept. 11 in Madison County Circuit Court.
They say James worked from 1959 until 1961 as a laborer at Rockwool Engineering and from 1962 until 1963 as a millwright and maintenance worker at US Gypsum.
They claim James also worked from 1963 until 1965 as a laborer in the Army, in 1967 as a laborer at Uniroyal Chemical and from 1965 until 2001 for various telephone companies.
They state James's exposure was foreseeable and should have been anticipated by the defendants, according to the lawsuit.
They claim his disease was caused after he was exposed to and inhaled, ingested or otherwise absorbed asbestos fibers.
The Grays allege the asbestos-related disease disabled and disfigured James and has caused substantial medical costs. James also has and will continue to experience physical pain and mental anguish, they claim in the lawsuit.
Mesothelioma hindered and prevented James from pursuing his normal course of employment, according to the suit.
As a result, he lost large sums of money, the Grays claim.
Because of the disease, Marilyn claims she has been deprived of the companionship, society and services of James.
In the 11-count lawsuit, the couple is seeking sums in excess of $150,000, punitive and exemplary damages in excess of $100,000, economic damages in excess of $100,000, compensatory damages in excess of $150,000, and for other relief the Court deems appropriate.
They also seek punitive damages in an amount sufficient to punish Ferris Kimball Company, LLC, Sprinkmann Sons Corporation, Sprinkmann Insulation, Inc., and Young Insulation Group of St. Louis for their misconduct and to deter similarly situated parties from committing like acts in the future.
They are represented by Randy L. Gori and Barry Julian of Gori, Julian & Associates in Alton.