Employees Community Fund of Boeing dismissed from suit alleging teen electrocuted from faulty outlet

By Heather Isringhausen Gvillo | Nov 28, 2018

The Employees Community Fund of Boeing St. Louis was voluntarily dismissed from a suit alleging a 19-year-old was electrocuted when he attempted to plug a vacuum pump into a faulty outlet, causing him to suffer fatal injuries.

On Nov. 9, Madison County Circuit Judge William Mudge filed an order dismissing defendant Employees Community Fund of Boeing St. Louis without prejudice.

The parties filed a stipulation for voluntary dismissal on Nov. 2.

Employees Community Fund of Boeing St. Louis was represented by Megan Slowikowski of Sinars Rollins LLC in Chicago.

Doug Elliott and Dawn Elliott, as independent co-administrators of the estate of Caleb Elliott, filed the complaint on Nov. 30, 2017, against Viola Sexton, Linda Johnson, Rebuilding Together Southwest Illinois, Liberty Worship Center, The Boeing Company, Employees Community Fund of Boeing St. Louis, and J/B Industries Inc.

In their complaint, the plaintiffs allege home electrical and outlet maintenance was performed in 2014 at Sexton and Johnson’s Troy home by the defendant non-profit groups.

Then on Aug. 11, 2017, Caleb Elliott, 19, went to the home as an employee of Viviano Heating & Air Conditioning Inc. His duties required him to use and plug a J/B Industries Inc. vacuum pump DV-85-N into an outlet. After Caleb Elliott plugged the vacuum pump into the outlet and began operating the pump, he was electrocuted. He died as a result of his injuries the same day.

The plaintiffs allege the defendants failed to properly wire, connect or install the electrical outlets; failed to inspect the electrical outlets; failed to inform and warn the decedent that the outlets were improperly wired or installed; failed to maintain the property in a manner that is in compliance with local and state ordinances; failed to maintain the outlets; failed to install a ground fault circuit interrupter; allowed the outlets to be installed with a false ground or reverse polarity; and failed to protect the entire branch circuit with a ground fault circuit interrupter.

The plaintiffs are represented by Robert Marcus of Kujawski Marcus LLC in O’Fallon.

Madison County Circuit Court case number 17-L-1625

Want to get notified whenever we write about any of these organizations ?

Sign-up Next time we write about any of these organizations, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

Organizations in this Story

Kujawski Marcus, LLC. Sinars Rollins, LLC

More News

The Record Network