An Alton couple is accusing a local company of improperly installing a roof that leaked and caused mold in their home.
Gene and Maria Caldwell say they hired Twin-Co Inc. in September 2009 to put a new roof on their Forest Drive home. In a lawsuit filed against the company Oct. 20, the Caldwells claim they agreed to pay Twin-Co nearly $25,000 to install a new roof, skylights and gutters.
The homeowners say they paid half of the total cost before work began on their roof and the other half when the project was complete.
The Caldwells say Twin-Co failed to properly install the roof and skylights. They say water was allowed to leak into their home and cause mold to grow. The couple contends Twin-Co has been unwilling or unable to repair the defects.
The homeowners accuse Twin-Co of a breach of contract. They say because of the company's shoddy work, they must pay an estimated $107,000 to repair and restore the roof and rid the home of mold. The Caldwells are asking Twin-Co Inc. to pay those costs.
Attorneys Scott Bjorseth and David Schott of Hoagland, Fitzgerald, Smith & Pranaitis in Alton are representing the Caldwells.
Madison County Circuit Court Case No. 10-L-1084