Shakerz customer trips on speaker, sues

By Kelly Holleran | Jan 21, 2010

A man claims he suffered severe and permanent injuries to his left shoulder, arm and elbow after tripping over a speaker and wire lying on the floor of a Granite City establishment.

Mark Moylan filed a lawsuit Jan. 13 in Madison County Circuit Court against Shakerz of Granite City.

Moylan claims he visited the establishment, which contains a bar and grill, on Nov. 21 when he tripped on a wire and speaker sitting on the floor, causing him to fall.

In addition to his injuries, Moylan suffered great physical pain and mental anguish; became hindered from attending to his usual duties and affairs; and lost wages, according to the complaint. In addition, he incurred medical costs.

He blames Shakerz for failing to provide adequate warning of the speaker that was on the floor, for allowing a speaker and wire to be placed on the floor where it knew customers would walk, for failing to provide sufficient lighting and for inviting the public to use the backdoor, which required them to walk through musical equipment.

Moylan seeks a judgment of more than $50,000, plus costs.

William H. Phillips of Beatty and Motil in Glen Carbon will be representing him.

Madison County Circuit Court case number: 10-L-23.

More News

The Record Network