A Madison County woman has filed suit against Avon and one of its representatives, alleging the Skin So Soft she used caused rectal bleeding, a urinary tract infection and severe allergies.
Darlene Fisher says she received Avon's Skin So Soft Light and Lush shower gel as a gift in December 2006 from Patricia Diane Kirby.
Fisher opened the gel and used it when she showered on April 22, 2007, according to the complaint filed April 17 in Madison County Circuit Court. During her shower, Fisher says she used no other products.
Less than one hour after she finished bathing, Fisher says she began experiencing a severe, ongoing and permanent skin reaction.
"As a result of using Defendant Avon's Product one time, Plaintiff has sustained ongoing and very serious physical injuries including irritation, itching, stinging, burning, redness, rash, swelling, psoriasis and blisters on her scalp, arms, legs, feet, hands, face, back, stomach," the suit states. "Additionally, Plaintiff has experienced a sinus infection, rectal bleeding and urinary tract infection as a result of the use of Avon Product."
Because of her suffering, Fisher says she lost wages, incurred medical expenses and experienced pain, suffering, disability and disfigurement.
Originally, Kirby purchased the gel from Ann Fisher, an Avon sales representative and a co-defendant in the suit.
In the five-count suit, Darlene Fisher is seeking unspecified punitive damages and a judgment in excess of $200,000, plus pre-judgment interest, attorney's fees, costs and other relief the court deems just.
She is represented by Susan M. Schwartzkopf of Wuestling and James in St. Louis.
Madison County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-394.