A Kentucky couple has filed a benzene suit against 18 defendant corporations, claiming the myelodysplastic syndrome with which the man was diagnosed was wrongfully caused.

Earl and Joyce Brumleve claim Earl Brumleve was diagnosed with the disease March 10, 2008, according to a lawsuit filed Feb. 26 in Madison County Circuit Court.

The Brumleves say Earl worked as an oil burner, serviceman, pipefitter, maintenance man and equipment repairman.

The Brumleves claim his disease was caused after he was exposed to and inhaled, ingested or otherwise absorbed benzene.

The Brumleves allege the asbestos-related disease caused the couple to incur substantial medical costs. Earl also experienced great physical pain and mental anguish as a result of the disease, they claim in the lawsuit.

Myelodysplastic syndrome hindered and prevented Earl from pursuing his normal course of employment, according to the suit.

As a result, he lost large sums of money, the Brumleves claim.

In the five-count lawsuit, the Brumleves are seeking compensatory damages in excess of $200,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems appropriate.

They are represented by Richard L. Saville Jr., Ethan A. Flint and David J. Page of Saville, Evola and Flint in Alton.

Madison County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-0182.

More News