St. Clair County Circuit Judge Andrew Gleeson on Feb. 19 approved a defense motion for judge reassignment in a civil lawsuit against former Madison County attorney Lowell Thomas Lakin.
The case will be sent to Chief Judge John Baricevic for reassignment.
Gleeson also granted a plaintiff’s motion to file a first amended complaint and continued hearing the plaintiff’s motion for summary judgment, pending reassignment.
The suit, originally filed under seal in Madison County, accuses Lakin of child sexual abuse. The accusations in the civil lawsuit launched an investigation which resulted in Lakin’s 2008 federal conviction on drug charges.
Plaintiff attorney Ed Unsell of East Alton, who was allowed to proceed with the civil suit after the state finished its case against Lakin in 2011, filed an amended complaint on Feb. 19.
According to the first amended complaint, Lakin was an adult friend of the families of the minors he is accused of abusing and had custody, control and dominion over them.
Plaintiff Mary Doe, mother of John and Joseph Doe, was an employee of Lakin and the now former Lakin Law Firm, the suit claims.
The lawsuit accuses Lakin of sexually abusing Mary Doe’s sons and harassing her daughter. He also is accused of filing harassing lawsuits against Mary Doe.
Mary Doe seeks more than $75,000 in damages.
Samantha Unsell of Keefe & Keefe also represents the plaintiff.
Lakin is represented by Clyde Kuehn of Belleville.
He is scheduled to be released from Fort Worth Federal Correctional Institution in Texas on Nov. 30.
St. Clair County case number 06-L-363
- Parents blame driver for injuries daughter suffered in accident
- Five auto passengers seek damages from motorist who allegedly drove into their vehicle
- Wigginton plans to step down next month, will move into private practice in St. Louis
- Couple blames motorist for causing head-on vehicle collision
- Motorist blames another driver for chain-reaction accident
- Majority of Illinois Independents in favor of government spending cuts, poll says
- Next round begins in lawyers' battle for billions; Tillery team seeks to restore Price, disqualify Karmeier
- General Motors says ignition switch lawsuits are misjoined; Seeks to transfer to Cook County
- IDC supports Prairie Farms in seeking to reverse revived '06 case; Argument centers on plaintiffs' failure to meet deadlines
- Candidate for Recorder says party bosses have attempted to intimidate her from running