Madison County Circuit Judge Andreas Matoesian granted the plaintiff leave to amend a complaint against a Wood River cop.
The Wood River Police Department and Sgt. Darin Redden on Dec. 13 filed a motion to dismiss a lawsuit filed by a woman who claims Redden’s police car slammed into her vehicle.
Vickie M. Oetken claims she was driving her 2009 Chevrolet Impala north on Route 111 at its intersection with Route 143 on Oct. 28, 2011.
Oetken was driving through a green light when Redden, a Wood River police officer, allegedly entered the intersection without an activated siren, and struck Oetken’s vehicle, according to the complaint filed Oct. 25 in Madison County Circuit Court.
According to the motion to dismiss, Redden cannot be liable in negligence, because he was engaged in the enforcement of Illinois law, operating a Wood River police squad car with emergency lights on, pursuing a vehicle speeding.
Oetken’s lawsuit, however, claims that Redden was not responding to an emergency at the time of the collision.
Oetken seeks more than $50,000.
Keith Short of the Law Office of Keith Short in Wood River will be representing her.
James C. Cook of Walker and Williams in Belleville represents the defense.
Madison County Circuit Court case number: 12-L-1739.
- Prenzler says he will run for Madison County Board Chairman; Proposes 10 percent reduction in property tax levy
- Belleville's city clerk announces bid for circuit clerk seat
- Illinois’s mass exodus: New IRS data shows significance of outmigration
- Madison County invests $1.6 million in Granite City school bonds; News comes after US Steel says it may shutter plant
- Renewable energy advocates continue push for Clean Jobs Bill; Big provider wants low-emission nuclear in discussion
- Hylla upheld by appellate court reviewing auto accident trial; Plaintiffs wanted new trial on damages and loss of consortium
- Rauner tries to crank up the pressure; Democrats say he’s peddling old material
- Family Violence Councils in Madison, St. Clair counties work to stop domestic violence
- McCarter announces bid for Congress; Will take on Shimkus in GOP primary
- Let’s let Boys ... become Men