Belleville attorney James Mendillo began his term as vice chairman of the Illinois Attorney Registration and Disciplinary Commission (ARDC) this week.
The Illinois Supreme Court appointed Mendillo to the post earlier this month. It also named Chicago attorney Joan Eagle chairwoman of the ARDC.
Both appointments took effect Tuesday.
Mendillo, a partner at Freeark, Harvey & Mendillo, and Eagle, an attorney at Klein, Dub & Holleb, have been involved with the commission that prosecutes lawyer misconduct for years, according to a news release from the Supreme Court.
Eagle, who focuses her practice on labor and employment law, previously served as vice chair. She sat on the ARDC’s hearing and inquiry boards for nearly a decade and has been a commissioner since 2008.
Mendillo concentrates his practice on civil litigation, including employment discrimination, insurance, products liability and malpractice matters.
He has been a member of the hearing board for about three years and became an ARDC commissioner in 2010.
"Ms. Eagle and Mr. Mendillo have both served the ARDC with distinction for many years," Justice Lloyd A. Karmeier said in a written statement.
Karmeier, the Supreme Court liaison to the ARDC, added that "Their experiences as Commissioners and as members of the Inquiry and Hearing Boards, tied with their passion for upholding the highest standards of conduct for Illinois attorneys, shall serve them well as chair and vice-chair of the ARDC.”
Mendillo was out of the office this week and could not immediately be reached for comment on his appointment.
- Retired federal judge Stiehl passes away at age 90
- Why Indiana's population grows faster than Illinois'
- Former judge Murphy sues insurer to force payment for suspicious fire
- Motorist blames two drivers for injuries in chain reaction collision
- Belleville attorney alleges legal malpractice suit barred by statute of limitations
- Flooring companies seek to dismiss man’s lawsuit alleging chemical exposures caused Parkinson’s disease
- Wal-Mart removes customer’s suit alleging injuries from automatic doors
- Belleclair Fairgrounds Park denies liability in man’s suit alleging collapsed chair
- Collinsville attorney and adoption agency deny liability in botched adoption
- Injured customer blames Walmart for slippery floor