Union Pacific blamed for worker's eye and pulmonary injuries

Kelly Holleran Oct. 9, 2012, 12:54pm


A man has filed suit against Union Pacific Railroad Company, alleging he sustained various injuries after an abundance of smoke blew from a defective locomotive.

Scott McKinley claims he was working for Union Pacific Railroad Company on June 23, 2011, when he saw white fumes or smoke coming from one of the train's engines. Stopping near a residential area, McKinley went to the back of the train to determine the problem, according to the complaint filed Sept. 14 in St. Clair County Circuit Court.

"When he reached the defective locomotive there was no fire visible so he opened a door on the side of the locomotive," the suit states. "When he did so fumes rushed out causing injury to his eyes, nostrils, lungs and pulmonary system."

In addition to his various injuries, McKinley experienced pain and mental anguish, underwent medical treatment and lost wages because of the incident, the complaint says. He also claims he incurred medical costs and sustained an impaired ability to enjoy life.

Union Pacific Railroad Company negligently failed to provide McKinley safe tools for work, failed to provide him with adequate help, failed to provide adequate training, failed to provide adequate personal protective equipment and failed to adequately inspect its engine, according to the complaint.

In his complaint, McKinley is seeking a judgment of more than $15,000, plus costs.

He will be represented by Steven L. Groves and Gerard B. Schneller of Holland, Groves, Schneller and Stolze in St. Louis.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 12-L-480.

Want to get notified whenever we write about Union Pacific ?
Next time we write about Union Pacific, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

Organizations in this Story

Union Pacific
1400 Douglas St
Omaha, NE 68179

More News