BELLEVILLE -- A former personal trainer for Gold's Gym claims she endured sexual harassment during the five months she worked for the company before management terminated her because of her complaints.
Amanda Kurtz filed a lawsuit May 11 in Jefferson County District Court against Gold's Gym, David Tate and Cade Pryor.
Kurtz claims she began working for the gym in September 2008 and remained employed there until her termination in January 2009.
During her employment at the gym, however, Kurtz continued to be sexually harassed by her supervisors and co-workers, according to the complaint.
"David Tate, the Assistant Fitness Manager at Gold's Gym, subjected Amanda Kurtz to sexual harassment in the form of inappropriate sexual comments, inappropriate touching and humiliation," the suit states.
Kurtz reported Tate's behavior to assistant manager Cade Pryor, but Pryor did nothing to stop Tate's conduct, the complaint says.
Kurtz claims she continued to endure sexual comments and inappropriate actions from her co-workers and management. Despite her complaints to management at the gym, the sexual harassment continued, according to the complaint.
"On or about January 30, 2009, after Amanda Kurtz complained about the sexual harassment and hostile work environment, she was retaliated against and terminated," the suit states. "Other similarly situated male co-employees were treated more favorably at work and were not subjected to a hostile work environment and were not terminated."
Because of the hostile work environment and her termination, Kurtz suffered emotional distress, mental anguish, pain, suffering and inconvenience and lost her enjoyment for life, the complaint says. In addition, she lost her future earnings and fringe benefits, she claims.
In her six-count complaint, Kurtz seeks a judgment of more than $300,000, plus costs, pre-judgment interest and other relief the court deems just.
Michael J. Brunton and Mary M. Stewart of Brunton Law Offices in Collinsville will be representing her.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 10-L-237
- St. Clair County real estate May 28-June 3
- St. Clair County foreclosures June 3-8
- Madison County real estate May 28-June 2
- Madison County foreclosures June 4-11
- Madison County Civil Docket: 6/22 - 6/26/2015
- Madison County Asbestos Motion Docket: 6/26/2015
- Court: Comcast must disclose ID of commenter accused of calling politician ‘Sandusky waiting to be exposed’
- MCBA and Granite City attorney recognized for pro bono work
- Illinois CUB fails to provide accurate info on Clean Jobs Bill, economic development consultant says
- Rauner ad campaign begins; House-approved work comp proposal 'so bad' says Republican lawmaker