Bond County woman�s feet burned by Cozy Toze
A Bond County woman whose feet were burned by microwave-heated slipper insoles is suing the company that makes Cozy Toze and the television network that sold them to her.
Carol J. Deichmann and her husband Terry L. Deichmann filed suit against Waveware Ltd. of Longford, Ireland, Waveware USA of Pennsylvania and the TV network QVC of Wilmington, Del. seeking more than $375,000 in damages. Her injuries include ulcers, infection, cellulitis and a large subcutaneous pocket extending to her bone.
Deichmann claims she followed directions by heating the insoles in the microwave and placing them in the pocket of the soles.
She purchased the product on Oct. 23, 2003. The incident took place on Dec. 28, 2003.
Deichmann claims the product was negligently designed and manufactured “in that the heating elements and/or components of the product generated an unsafe level of heat,” according to the complaint filed Nov. 22.
“Plaintiff is permanently, partially disabled,” the complaint states. “Plaintiff has suffered the inability to carry on her every day chores and pleasures, inability to pursue or indulge in her accustomed pleasures, recreations, and to continue her customary way of life as before said injury."
Terry Deichmann is suing for loss of consortium.
“Plaintiff Terry Deichmann has been caused to suffer and continues to suffer the loss of society, consortium, companionship, love, affection, support and care of his wife,” the complaint states.
The suit also claims strict liability, breach of express warranty, breach of implied warranty.
The Deichmanns are represented by Randall D. Grady of Riezman Berger in St. Louis.