BELLEVILLE — A couple claims the husband incurred medical expenses after being diagnosed with cancer.
Rodney Townsend and Betty Townsend filed a complaint May 7 in the St. Clair County Circuit Court against AK Steel Corp., Chevron USA Inc., Trane US Inc. and others alleging they failed to exercise reasonable care and caution for the safety of others.
According to the complaint, the plaintiffs allege that during Rodney Townsend's employment between 1967 and 2007, he was exposed to and inhaled or ingested asbestos fibers emanating from certain products manufactured, sold, distributed or installed by the defendants. On May 15, 2017, he became aware that he developed lung cancer and claims it was caused by asbestos. He has suffered great pain and anguish and became liable for medical care and treatment expenses. The plaintiffs hold AK Steel, Chevron USA, Trane US and others responsible because the defendants allegedly negligently included asbestos fibers in their products when adequate substitutes were available and failed to provide adequate warnings and instructions concerning the dangers of working with or around products containing asbestos fibers.
The plaintiffs seek damages of more than $50,000. They are represented by Randy L. Gori of Gori, Julian & Associates PC in Edwardsville.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number 18-L-312