BELLEVILLE – The sister of a former pipe fitter alleges his death from lung cancer was the result of asbestos exposure during his career.
Janice Potts, individually and as special administrator of the estate of Edward Tansil, deceased filed a complaint on Nov. 10 in the St. Clair County Circuit Court against Alfa Laval Inc., Ameron International Corp., Blackmer Pump Co., et al. alleging negligence.
According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges that during Tansil's employment as a pipe fitter from 1971 to 2005, he was exposed to and inhaled or ingested asbestos fibers emanating from certain products manufactured, sold, distributed or installed by defendants. The suit states that on or about Nov. 15, 2016, he first became aware that he developed lung cancer, an asbestos-induced disease, and that the disease was wrongfully caused. He died on April 24, according to the suit.
The plaintiff holds Alfa Laval Inc., Ameron International Corp., Blackmer Pump Co. and others responsible because the defendants allegedly negligently included asbestos fibers in their products when adequate substitutes were available and failed to provide adequate warnings and instructions concerning the dangers of working with or around products containing asbestos fibers.
The plaintiff seeks compensatory damages of no less than $50,000, plus punitive damages and any other relief that the court may deem appropriate. She is represented by Randi L. Gori of Gori, Julian & Associates PC in Edwardsville.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number 17-L-668