Madison - St. Clair Record

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Grandmother sues home owners after tripping while trick or treating

By Michael Abella | Dec 4, 2016

BELLEVILLE — A Freeburg woman is suing Smithon residents claiming she tripped over a guide wire for an inflated Halloween display while trick or treating with her grandchildren two years ago.

Donna Rae of Freeburg filed a complaint on Oct. 26 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Michael Mattingly and Kimberly Mattingly, alleging they failed to keep their premises safe to traverse.

According to the complaint, the plaintiff alleges that on Oct. 31, 2014, she was injured when she tripped on the inflatable decoration, resulting in pain and suffering, emotional distress, permanent scarring, amnesia and impairment of earning capacity, she alleges.

The plaintiff alleges the defendants negligently created an unsafe ingress and egress and failed to install warnings signs that the guide wire was present.

The plaintiff requests a trial by jury and seeks compensation for damages in excess of $50,000. She is represented by Grey Chatman Jr. of Chatman & Baricevic in Belleville.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number 16-L-570

Want to get notified whenever we write about St. Clair County Circuit Court ?

Sign-up Next time we write about St. Clair County Circuit Court, we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

Organizations in this Story

St. Clair County Circuit Court

More News