Madison - St. Clair Record

Wednesday, August 21, 2019

Allstate alleges faulty insulation installation caused house fire

By Carol Ostrow | Jul 27, 2015

Allstate Insurance, acting on behalf of two homeowners, claims faulty insulation installation in the couple's fireplace caused their home to catch fire.

Allstate Property and Casualty Insurance Company, as subrogee of Alexandre and Malgorzat Dinsenmeyer, filed a lawsuit on June 29 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Turner Enterprises Inc., doing business as Sean Turner Custom Homes, Blue Sky Energy Savers Inc. and Light Brite Distributing Inc., alleging faulty materials and installation led to a destructive house fire in 2014.

According to the complaint, the Dinsenmeyers hired Turner Enterprises in February 2009 to build their home at 423 S. Clinton Road in Caseyville. They claim Turner subcontracted with Light Brite to install a fireplace and with Blue Sky to install blown-in cellulose insulation for the chimney and attic.

The suit states that the building material in the Dinsenmeyers' house ignited on Jan. 23, 2014, resulting in fire and smoke damage.

Allstate alleges the cause was determined to be faulty insulation installation. Specifically, the insulation was installed too close to the metal chimney liner, with the defendants failing to incorporate a shield that would have prevented the fire, the lawsuit states.

The suit says the homeowners incurred $270,985.88 in real and personal property damages, including their $1,000 deductible payment. The plaintiffs allege negligence, breach of contract and breach of warranty.

Allstate seeks compensation for the exact amount, plus interest, attorney fees and costs. The company is represented by attorney Cory Anderson of Rock Fusco & Connelly in Chicago.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number 15-L-376.

Want to get notified whenever we write about ?

Sign-up Next time we write about , we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.

More News