A man says he developed asthma after he inhaled diesel fumes while working for a railroad company.
Mark W. Carroll filed a lawsuit Nov. 7 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against CSX Transportation.
In his complaint, Carroll alleges he was working as a locomotive engineer for CSX on Nov. 20, 2010, when he inhaled excessive diesel exhaust fumes. As a result, he suffered injuries to his lungs, including asthma, according to the complaint.
He also claims he endured severe pain and mental anguish, fears that he will develop cancer, incurred medical costs, lost wages and experienced suffering because of his inhalation.
Carroll blames CSX for causing his injuries, saying the railroad negligently failed to provide him with a safe place to work, failed to provide him with safe equipment, exposed him to diesel exhaust and failed to warn him of the hazards of diesel exhaust.
In his two-count complaint, Carroll seeks a judgment of more than $100,000, plus damages and costs.
Ryan Brennan of The Brennan Law Firm in Belleville will be representing him.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 13-L-571.