Worker blames general contractor for trip in slurry tank

By Kelly Holleran | Jun 11, 2013

A man who was allegedly knocked unconscious after tripping on equipment left in a tank blames his general contractor for causing his injuries.

Troy L. Daggs filed a lawsuit May 22 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Prairie State Generating Company and Prairie State Energy Campus Management.

In his complaint, Daggs alleges he was working in a stainless steel slurry tank on Aug. 29, 2009, when he tripped on an uncoiled steel cable that had been left inside the tank. In turn, Daggs struck his head on a pipe and was knocked unconscious, according to the complaint.

Because of the incident, Daggs suffered injuries to his neck, experienced disability and disfigurement, experienced great physical pain and mental anguish and lost his normal life, the suit states. He also lost earnings, incurred medical costs and experienced a seriously diminished earning capacity, the complaint says.

At the time of the incident, Daggs was working for Prairie, which was a general contractor. Daggs blames Prairie for causing his injuries, saying it negligently left steel cable lying inside a recently finished slurry tank, failed to remove the coil from the tank, failed to warn Daggs that its employees failed to remove the coil, failed to warn Daggs of a tripping hazard within the tank and failed to properly inspect the tank.

In his complaint, Daggs seeks a judgment of more than $100,000, plus costs.

Joseph A. Bartholomew of Cook, Ysursa, Bartholomew, Brauer and Shevlin in Belleville will be representing him.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 13-L-265.

More News

The Record Network