A man has filed suit against Union Pacific Railroad Company, alleging he sustained various injuries after an abundance of smoke blew from a defective locomotive.
Scott McKinley claims he was working for Union Pacific Railroad Company on June 23, 2011, when he saw white fumes or smoke coming from one of the train's engines. Stopping near a residential area, McKinley went to the back of the train to determine the problem, according to the complaint filed Sept. 14 in St. Clair County Circuit Court.
"When he reached the defective locomotive there was no fire visible so he opened a door on the side of the locomotive," the suit states. "When he did so fumes rushed out causing injury to his eyes, nostrils, lungs and pulmonary system."
In addition to his various injuries, McKinley experienced pain and mental anguish, underwent medical treatment and lost wages because of the incident, the complaint says. He also claims he incurred medical costs and sustained an impaired ability to enjoy life.
Union Pacific Railroad Company negligently failed to provide McKinley safe tools for work, failed to provide him with adequate help, failed to provide adequate training, failed to provide adequate personal protective equipment and failed to adequately inspect its engine, according to the complaint.
In his complaint, McKinley is seeking a judgment of more than $15,000, plus costs.
He will be represented by Steven L. Groves and Gerard B. Schneller of Holland, Groves, Schneller and Stolze in St. Louis.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 12-L-480.