A St. Louis man claims he suffered from asthma and pneumonia after inhaling mold and fungi on a daily basis in his office.

Yan Shifrin filed a lawsuit June 11 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Associated Banc Corp doing business as First Financial Corporation, Associated Bank doing business as First Financial Bank, Associated Investment Services, First Financial Bank and the unknown owners of the premises.

In his complaint, Shifrin alleges he worked for Bric, an engineering service company that leased space from the defendants, from March 31, 2009, through Jan. 4, 2011. During that time, Shifrin inhaled mold, fungi and bacteria, which caused him to develop asthma and pneumonia, according to the complaint.

On his doctor's advice, Shifrin filed his current lawsuit, saying he experienced pain, suffering, loss of a normal life and disabilities and incurred medical costs because of his exposure to the harmful materials. In addition, he suffered physical impairment and was unable to continue work at his job, the suit states.

Shifrin names the varying banks as defendants, saying Bric leased the premises at 100 East Washington St. in Belleville from them.

He says the defendants negligently failed to eliminate the mold and fungi from the premises, failed to provide a safe place for employment, failed to inspect the property to make sure that it was in a safe condition and failed to warn of the dangerous condition of the property.

In his five-count complaint, Shifrin seeks actual and compensatory damages of more than $250,000, plus interest, costs and other relief the court deems just.

Andrew M. Lammert of McCarthy, Leonard and Kaemmerer in Chesterfield will be representing him.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 12-L-315.

More News