Man hurt by ceiling chunk while cooking dinner sues landlord

By Kelly Holleran | Oct 19, 2011

A man has filed suit against the owners of the Alton apartment building in which he lived, alleging he was injured after a piece of ceiling fell on his head.

Isaacs Machado alleges he was living in an apartment at 1118 East Seventh St. in Alton when the incident occurred while he was sitting in his kitchen.

About two months before the incident, Machado had informed the apartment's owners, defendant Hellrung Properties, that the kitchen ceiling in his apartment was falling apart. Hellrung Properties promised to have a maintenance man repair the ceiling as quickly as possible, according to the complaint filed Oct. 13 in Madison County Circuit Court.

"That approximately two months later, on the date of the incident, Plaintiff was sitting in the kitchen at the table, cooking his food in the microwave," the suit states. "While Plaintiff was sitting in the kitchen, a large piece of heavy plaster fell from the ceiling and landed directly on Plaintiff's head and neck, thereby greatly injuring him."

In addition to his head and neck injuries, Machado incurred medical costs and has been unable to perform his usual activities, the complaint says.

Machado blames Hellrung for allowing the incident to occur, alleging it negligently failed to inspect the property, failed to inspect the ceiling in the kitchen, failed to maintain the ceiling in the kitchen and failed to timely repair the ceiling in the kitchen.

In the two-count complaint, Machado is seeking a judgment of less than $100,000, plus costs.

Michael P. Glisson of Williamson, Webster, Falb and Glisson in Alton will be representing him.

Madison County Circuit Court case number: 11-L-1040.

More News

The Record Network