A man has filed suit against his former employer, alleging he inhaled toxic substances throughout his career which led him to develop lung cancer.
Eunice Edwards claims he worked for defendant Union Pacific Railroad Company from 1969 until July 31, 2008. During his employment, Edwards was exposed to diesel exhaust and asbestos that caused him to develop lung cancer, according to the complaint filed July 22 in St. Clair County Circuit Court.
Because of his lung cancer, Edwards has experienced great pain and disability, mental anguish and extreme nervousness and incurred medical costs, the suit states. In addition, he lost large sums of money, the complaint says.
Edwards blames Union Pacific for causing his injuries, saying the railroad failed to provide him with a safe place to work, failed to provide him with safe equipment, exposed him to diesel exhaust and asbestos and failed to warn him of the dangers. In addition, the railroad allowed unsafe work practices to become routine, according to the complaint.
In his complaint, Edwards is seeking a judgment of more than $50,000, plus costs.
Edwards will be represented by Willam P. Gavin of the Gavin Law Firm in Belleville.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 10-L-378.
Want to get notified whenever we write about
Next time we write about
we'll email you a link to the story. You may edit your settings or unsubscribe at any time.
Sign-up for Alerts
Organizations in this Story