Insurer seeks to recover claim paid in Buck's Decorating fire

By Ann Knef | Jan 21, 2010

State Farm Fire & Casualty claims a Godfrey business owner failed to extinguish a lit candle which led to a fire that damaged an adjoining business it insured.

According to a suit filed Jan. 19 in Madison County Circuit Court, Unique Boutique owner Jerika Bateman left unattended a lit candle burning on a display table which caused combustion of surrounding materials. A resulting fire spread next door to Buck's Decorating, the complaint states.

The fire happened Dec. 17, 2007 at 5411 Godfrey Rd. in Godfrey.

State Farm is making a subrogation claim against Bateman on behalf of its insured Patrick Parker, owner of Buck's Decorating.

State Farm claims it incurred damages in excess of $100,000.

It is represented by Philip T. Carroll of Cozen O'Connor in Chicago.

Madison County Circuit Court case number 10-L-44.

More News

The Record Network