A man claims he developed permanent respiratory problems after workers at a health club shocked a pool while he swam in it.

Ramey Robert Elliot and his wife, Susan Elliot, filed a lawsuit Nov. 25 in Madison County Circuit Court against Our Health Club and Spa.

Ramey Elliot claims he began swimming in a pool located at Our Health Club and Spa on June 15, 2003, when an employee attempted to shock the pool.

Because of the incident, Ramey Elliot ingested chlorine, causing him severe respiratory problems and long-term effects from the scarring of his lungs, according to the complaint. In addition, Ramey Elliot has suffered from a reduced breathing capacity, sensitivity to environmental conditions, loss of breath, loss of stamina; experienced pain and discomfort; and lost income of more than $10,000, the suit states.

Susan Elliot lost her husband's society, comfort, services, labor, income, companionship, guidance and affection, the complaint says.

The Elliots blame Our Health Club and Spa for operating a pool with an improper water purification and filtration system, for improperly adding chlorine to the pool, for trying to operate the pool without proper knowledge and training, for exposing patrons to chlorine without telling them to leave and for failing to maintain and operate the pool filtration system.

In the two-count suit, the Elliots seek a judgment of more than $100,000, plus pre-judgment interest, costs and other relief the court deems just.

William K. Meehan and Kelly B. Chevalier of Meehan Law Firm in University City will be representing them.

Madison County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-1287.

More News