A plumber has filed suit against a Swansea couple alleging he was injured after acid from their pipes splashed onto his legs.

William Terry Hassard claims Keith and Virginia Duffy hired him on Feb. 10 to perform plumbing services at the home they own located at 2313 Ellington Dr. in Swansea.

Before Hassard arrived at the home, someone had poured an acid-like substance into the pipes, according to the complaint filed July 8 in St. Clair County Circuit Court.

So, after Hassard began working on pipes under the kitchen sink, the acid-like substance splashed out of the pipes and onto his right leg, from his knee down to his foot, and onto his left leg, from his ankle to his foot, the suit states.

Because of the incident, Hassard was made sick, sore, lame, disordered and disabled, received permanent scarring and injuries to his legs, incurred medical costs and lost wages, the complaint says.

Hassard blames the Duffys for failing to inform him they had poured an acid-like substance into the pipes, for failing to warn him that the substance remained in the pipes and for failing to provide him medical assistance after he was injured.

In the two-count suit, Hassard is seeking a judgment of more than $100,000, plus other relief the court deems just.

He is represented by Patrick R. Foley of Williams, Caponi, Foley and Eckert in Belleville.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-364.

More News