A woman has filed suit against St. Louis University Hospital and one of its employees, alleging she was seriously injured after inhaling an acid instead of getting it administered through a local anesthetic.
Laura May claims she went to St. Louis University for an endoscopic procedure to evaluate her adenoids.
In preparing for the procedure, a St. Louis University employee, Maria Baker, administered an acid to May through inhalation instead of a local anesthetic, according to the complaint filed July 2 in St. Clair County Circuit Court.
Because of the incident, May suffered permanent pain, extreme mental anguish, disability and disfigurement, the suit states. She also incurred medical costs, the complaint says.
In the two-count suit, May is seeking a judgment of more than $150,000, plus costs.
Thomas Q. Keefe Jr. of Belleville will be representing her.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-357.