A woman has filed suit against a gas station and its owners, alleging she was seriously injured after a malfunctioning hose sprayed gas into her eyes.
Neko Childress-Jethro says she was pumping gas at a Shell gas station in Washington Park on April 27, 2007, when the gas sprayed into her eyes and on her entire body.
Because of the incident, Childress-Jethro was hindered from attending to her usual duties, lost large sums of money and suffered great pain and anguish, according to the complaint filed April 24 in St. Clair County Circuit Court. She also incurred medical expenses and experienced great disability, disfigurement and loss of a normal life, the suit states.
Childress-Jethro says the station and its owners, Phillip R. and Sherry L. Fiudo, were negligent by allowing improperly maintained gas pumps, by allowing the pumps to remain in an improperly maintained state, by failing to provide proper maintenance for the pumps and by failing to warn Childress-Jethro of the dangerous pumps.
In the three-count suit, Childress-Jethro is seeking a judgment of more than $50,000, plus costs.
She is represented by Michael P. Hickey of Brown and Brown in Fairview Heights.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-217.