The owner of a Belleville duplex claims it caught on fire because of a defectively designed baby monitor.

Patti Ovies claims a baby monitor manufactured by Dorel Juvenile Group caused a duplex she owned at 1527 and 1529 Donna Dr. to catch on fire.

Because of the fire, Ovies sustained property damage, a diminished value of her property, loss of use and expenses for repair, according to the complaint filed Feb. 23 in St. Clair County Circuit Court.

The baby monitor was defective when it left the control of Dorel Juvenile Group by being defectively designed, by failing to provide adequate warnings to customers who purchased it and by failing to contain instructions concerning the safe methods of handling the baby transmitter, the suit states.

In the two-count suit, Ovies is seeking a judgment in excess of $100,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems just.

David C. Berwin of Amelung, Wulff, Willenbrock and Pankowski of St. Louis will be representing her.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 09-L-0093.

More News