An Indiana man and his wife have filed an asbestos suit 122 defendant corporations, claiming the mesothelioma with which the man was diagnosed was wrongfully caused.
John Michael and Cherie Dowdell claim John was diagnosed with the disease July 9, according to a lawsuit filed Sept. 3 in Madison County Circuit Court.
They say John worked from 1952 until 2008 at various companies.
They state John's exposure was foreseeable and should have been anticipated by the defendants, according to the lawsuit.
They claim his disease was caused after he was exposed to and inhaled, ingested or otherwise absorbed asbestos fibers.
The Dowdells allege the asbestos-related disease disabled and disfigured John and has caused substantial medical costs. John also has and will continue to experience physical pain and mental anguish, they claim in the lawsuit.
Mesothelioma hindered and prevented John from pursuing his normal course of employment, according to the suit.
As a result, he lost large sums of money, the Dowdells claims.
Because of the disease, Cherie claims she has been deprived of the companionship, society and services of John.
In the 11-count lawsuit, the couple is seeking sums in excess of $100,000, punitive and exemplary damages in excess of $150,000, economic damages in excess of $150,000, compensatory damages in excess of $150,000, and for other relief the Court deems appropriate.
They also seek punitive damages in an amount sufficient to punish Ferris Kimball Company, LLC, Sprinkmann Sons Corporation, Sprinkmann Insulation, Inc., and Young Insulation Group of St. Louis for their misconduct and to deter similarly situated parties from committing like acts in the future.
They are represented by Randy L. Gori of Julian & Associates in Alton.