A man who claims he suffered from salmonella poisoning after dining at an East Alton restaurant in May is seeking in excess of $100,000 for his illness which required hospitalization.
Michael Butkovich, who filed suit in Madison County Circuit Court Sept. 6, claims he became extremely ill after eating at Casa Romero on May 23.
According to Butkovich's complaint, he required intravenous fluids during a four-day hospitalization for vomiting and diarrhea.
Cardiac procedures also were performed during his hospital stay because he experienced chest pains.
The Madison County Health Department reported 22 confirmed cases of salmonella had been linked to the Casa Romero.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, most people infected with salmonella develop diarrhea, fever, and abdominal cramps 12 to 72 hours after infection. The illness usually lasts four to seven days, and most persons recover without treatment.
Salmonella, microscopic living creatures that pass from the feces of people or animals, is a group of bacteria that can cause diarrhea in humans.
Butkovich claims Casa Romero was negligent by failing to thoroughly cook its meat, keep work areas clean and properly train employees in basic food safety.
He also claims the restaurant failed to train employees to wash their hands after using the restroom and after handling raw animal products. He alleges that the restaurant failed to properly wash all cooking utensils and cookware after coming into contact with raw animal products.
"Butkovich suffered severe and agonizing symptoms associated with salmonella poisoning and has incurred substantial medical bills and expenses," the complaint states.
Butkovich is represented David and Richard Bender of Rosenblum, Goldenhersh, Silverstein & Zafft.
05 L 799