A man has filed suit against the Washington Park Police Department and a police officer, alleging he was unlawfully arrested and tasered.

Jason Fields alleges he was driving a black 2005 Mitsubishi Endeavor west on Interstate Highway 64 and was nearing Exit 5 when he was stopped by defendant Washington Park police officer Dean Anderson on Dec. 28, 2013.

Anderson utilized a bull horn to command Fields place his hands outside of his vehicle and to demand Fields step out of his vehicle, according to the complaint filed Dec. 29 in St. Clair County Circuit Court. Anderson then approached the vehicle and pulled Fields from it after he opened his door, the suit states. He forced Field on his knees in the traffic lane and arrested him, then searched his overcoat and seized his cell phone, which Anderson used to call Fields' wife to order her to pick up her husband at the Washington Park police station, the complaint says.

Fields was then transported to the police station and placed into a jail cell for several hours, the suit states, and Fields says he was never informed of charges being brought against him.

When his wife arrived and police released him, Fields was charged with reckless driving, according to the complaint. Fields and his wife left the station together but realized they did not have the appropriate paperwork to retrieve their vehicle from the impound lot and were forced to return to the police station, the suit states.

While Fields' wife went inside the station to retrieve the paperwork, Fields re-positioned his vehicle to exit the station's parking lot, the complaint says.

"Defendant officer Dean Anderson exited the Washington Park police station and approached plaintiff Jason Fields in his vehicle at which time defendant Anderson, acting both individually and under color of state law, improperly utilized his Taser on plaintiff Fields' person causing bodily injury and forcibly removed plaintiff Fields from his vehicle, thereby unreasonably seizing him, and place him within the Washington Park police station, all without probable cause of any offense committed," the suit states. "Jason Fields was then falsely charged with reckless driving, failing to stop at a stop sign, speeding, resisting arrest and assault on an officer."

All charges were eventually dropped, Fields alleges.

Fields says the defendants deprived him of his constitutional rights by taking him into custody without probable cause and by unreasonably searching and seizing his property among other actions.

In his complaint, Fields seeks compensatory and punitive damages of more than $1.15 million, plus costs and attorney fees.

Attorney Michael P. Glisson, of Williamson, Webster, Falb and Glisson in Alton, will represent Fields.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 14-L-826.

More News