Kelly Holleran Apr. 4, 2013, 6:55am

The next-of-kin of a recently deceased man has filed suit against the electric company that was operating the power line that allegedly fell and electrocuted the man.

Nancy Mehochko claims Gregory Mehochko was working on a construction project near the intersection of State Route 162 and Lakeview Acres Road in Maryville on Jan. 23. He was working near a concrete mixer when an uninsulated overhead power line collapsed and came into contact with the mixer, according to the complaint filed March 13 in St. Clair County Circuit Court.

Gregory Mehochko was touching the mixer at the time and was electrocuted as a result, the suit states.

Because of Gregory Mehochko’s death, his next-of-kin have lost his society, companionship, support, love and affection and have suffered grief and sorrow, the complaint says.

The power line, which had been knocked over after a track hoe came into contact with it, was owned by defendant Southwestern Electric Cooperative.

Nancy Mehochko blames Southwestern for causing Gregory Mehochko’s death, saying the power company negligently failed to properly maintain its power line, failed to properly maintain the reclosures protecting the power line and failed to suspend its power line at the proper height, among other negligent acts.

In her complaint, Nancy Mehochko is seeking a judgment of more than $50,000, plus costs.

She will be represented by Bruce R. Cook of Cook, Ysursa, Barholomew, Brauer and Shevlin in Belleville.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 13-L-138.

More News