A Belleville woman is suing St. Clair County after she allegedly fell out of a courtroom seat and injured her neck.
Mary Kelley filed a lawsuit in St. Clair County Circuit Court Feb. 13 against the St. Clair County Public Building Commission and St. Clair County.
Kelley says she was in Courtroom 404 for jury selection in March 2012. When she attempted to sit down in one of the courtroom seats, Kelley claims it collapsed, causing her to fall to the floor and hurt her neck and back. Kelley accuses St. Clair County and the Public Building Commission of negligence for allegedly failing to properly maintain the furniture in the courthouse.
Kelley asks for more than $100,000 in damages for medical expenses, loss of income plus court costs. Attorney Kirk A. Caponi, of Belleville, represents her.
St. Clair County Circuit Court Case No. 13-L-78
- Retired federal judge Stiehl passes away at age 90
- Why Indiana's population grows faster than Illinois'
- Former judge Murphy sues insurer to force payment for suspicious fire
- Motorist blames two drivers for injuries in chain reaction collision
- Belleville attorney alleges legal malpractice suit barred by statute of limitations
- Flooring companies seek to dismiss man’s lawsuit alleging chemical exposures caused Parkinson’s disease
- Wal-Mart removes customer’s suit alleging injuries from automatic doors
- Belleclair Fairgrounds Park denies liability in man’s suit alleging collapsed chair
- Collinsville attorney and adoption agency deny liability in botched adoption
- Injured customer blames Walmart for slippery floor