A woman seeks more than $100,000 for injuries she claims she sustained when she stepped in a pothole hidden by rain water.
Marilyn Weist filed a lawsuit Jan. 16 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Schnuck Markets.
In her complaint, Weist alleges she was walking through the parking lot of Schnuck Markets located at 907 East Highway 50 in O’Fallon on Nov. 9, 2011, when she stepped in a pothole, injuring her ankle and wrist.
Weist says Schnuck Markets is responsible for her fall because it “failed to warn the plaintiff that her health and welfare may be in jeopardy due to a large pothole in the defendant’s parking lot, which was hidden from the plaintiff’s view by rain water.”
In addition to her injuries, Weist suffered great pain and mental anguish, has been disabled and lost wages, according to the complaint.
Schnuck Markets negligently failed to make sure its property was safe for pedestrian use and allowed a pothole to exist in its parking lot, the suit states.
In her two-count complaint, Weist is seeking a judgment of more than $100,000 but less than $150,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems just.
Grey Chatham of Belleville will be representing her.
St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 13-L-29.
- Biotech X-Ray sued over alleged injuries in Illinois 13 accident
- Mother blames East St. Louis schools for daughter's fall
- Former worker alleges Dollar General fired her for pregnancy
- Kentucky firm alleges Interstate Farm failed to pay for purchases
- Widow alleges asbestos exposure caused husband's premature death
- Customer alleges Autoplex changed terms of contract after it was signed
- Brawl over bargaining bill resumes; With no AFSCME contract, stakes are high
- Motorist blames El Greco pizza driver for her injuries
- Wood River customer blames Captain D's for fall, injuries
- Motorist alleges another driver's negligence caused accident, injuries