Kelly Holleran Feb. 1, 2013, 7:17am

In a recently filed lawsuit, a man blames his landlords for causing the pneumonia he claims he developed due to mold that grew on the premises where he was living.

Rick A. Obernuefemann filed a lawsuit Jan. 8 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against the Estate of Robert Krausz and Carol Krausz.

In his complaint, Obernuefemann claims he was exposed to a dust created by mold spores in the apartment where he was living. In turn, Obernuefemann developed hypersensitivity pneumonitis, which occurs after a coating in the lungs becomes inflamed from the inhalation of dust, according to the complaint.

Moore claims he began experiencing shortness of breath, fatigue and chronic cough in April, but his pneumonitis was not discovered until June 16.

Because of his exposure to the mold, Oberneufemann has suffered permanent damages, including disability and disfigurement and experienced physical pain, suffering and mental anguish, the suit states.

Obernuefemann blames the Krauszes for causing his injuries, saying they allowed water and moisture damage to accumulate within the property where he was living and failed to provide air conditioning during extremely hot weather in June.

In his complaint, Obernuefemann seeks a judgment of more than $250,000, plus costs.

Deborah A. Hawkins of Hawkins Law Office in Edwardsville will be representing him.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 13-L-13.


More News