An insurance company has filed suit against the driver who it claims caused it to pay more than $50,000 to its insured following a collision.
Geico filed a lawsuit Jan. 4 in Madison County Circuit Court against Alicia N. Mills.
In its complaint, Geico alleges it had insured Rita Starnes when she got into an accident with Mills on Jan. 7, 2011.
As Starnes was driving a 2009 Toyota Camry on Route 203 and Binrow Street in Madison County, Mills, who was driving a 1997 Dodge Stratus on the same road, failed to keep a proper lookout and struck her vehicle, according to the complaint.
Subsequently, Geico paid Starnes $25,000 for medical costs she incurred and $9,341.58 for vehicle repairs, the suit states. It also paid an additional $25,000 for medical costs incurred by Starnes’s passenger, Kita Burnette, who was also injured during the accident, the complaint says.
Starnes paid a $500 for the bodily injuries sustained and an additional $500 deductible for her property damages, but Geico claims it paid the remaining sums.
In addition to the money it claims it paid the defendants, Geico is seeking attorney’s fees, costs and other relief the court deems just.
It will be represented by Beth C. Boggs and Elizabeth Westbrook of Boggs, Avellino, Lach and Boggs in St. Louis.
Madison County Circuit Court case number: 13-L-16.
- Father says medical center, doctor failed to aid his abused daughter
- Estate administrator seeks compensation from health care providers
- Car passenger blames driver, Kilian Corp. for accident that caused injuries
- St. Clair County woman blames Golden State Foods for injuries at McDonald's
- Patient claims misdiagnosed infection led to amputation
- Parents blame driver for injuries daughter suffered in accident
- Five auto passengers seek damages from motorist who allegedly drove into their vehicle
- Wigginton plans to step down next month, will move into private practice in St. Louis
- Couple blames motorist for causing head-on vehicle collision
- Motorist blames another driver for chain-reaction accident