Madison County Circuit Judge Dennis Ruth has set a Jan. 18 hearing for Granite City and Madison County Mass Transit District’s motion to dismiss a bicyclist's personal injury suit.
The district filed its motion to dismiss Dec. 20, stating that it is a local public entity, not liable for an injury where liability is based on the existence of a condition of any public property intended or permitted to be used for recreational purposes, including parks, playgrounds and open areas.
Ian Hester sued the entities last April over a July 24, 2011 bicycle accident on Confluence Trail.
He claims he fell more than 10 feet when he tumbled off a road while riding his bicycle, mistakenly believing the road ended in a bike trail.
Hester seeks a judgment exceeding $50,000.
He is represented by Samantha S. Unsell of Belleville.
Donald Ohl of Heather Mueller-Jones in Edwardsville represents the Agency for Community Transit.
Eric Evans of Evans Blasi in Granite City represents Granite City.
Madison County Circuit Court case number: 12-L-549.
- Biotech X-Ray sued over alleged injuries in Illinois 13 accident
- Mother blames East St. Louis schools for daughter's fall
- Former worker alleges Dollar General fired her for pregnancy
- Kentucky firm alleges Interstate Farm failed to pay for purchases
- Widow alleges asbestos exposure caused husband's premature death
- Customer alleges Autoplex changed terms of contract after it was signed
- Brawl over bargaining bill resumes; With no AFSCME contract, stakes are high
- Motorist blames El Greco pizza driver for her injuries
- Wood River customer blames Captain D's for fall, injuries
- Motorist alleges another driver's negligence caused accident, injuries