A woman working at a Belleville medical center says she was attacked by a patient during a blood draw.
Stephanie R. Moslander filed a complaint on Oct. 2 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Midwest Rehabilitation & Respiratory Center LLC, Belleville Rehabilitation and Nursing Center LLC. Eldercare Inc.,doing business as Calvin Johnson Care Center, and Senior Healthcare Management LLC were also listed as defendants.
Moslander is a phlebotomist and was working at the Calvin Johnson Care Center in February 2011, according to the complaint. On Feb. 9, the healthcare worker says she had contact with Charles Logas, a resident of the long-term care facility and Moslander's patient.
Moslander says she was attempting to perform her phlebotomist duties when she was "physically and sexually attacked and battered" by Logas.
Prior to the alleged attack, Moslander says she had spoken to the night nurse about the residents who needed blood draws. The phlebotomist says she was never warned about Logas.
Moslander contends the care facility and its owners knew Logas had "violent and dangerous propensities and was likely to cause harm to others if not properly supervised and controlled," the petition reads.
She says the defendants knew she could not protect herself from an attack and had a duty to warn her of the potential dangers of caring for the patient. Moslander accuses the defendants of negligence for allegedly failing to take the necessary steps to protect her.
Since the alleged attack Moslander says she has suffered bodily pain and injury along with severe, permanent and progressive psychological issues.
She says she has post-traumatic stress disorder, anxiety disorder, depression, nightmares, flashback and panic attacks. Moslander asks to be awarded more than $50,000 in damages for medical expenses, loss of enjoyment of life, lost income and permanent psychological harm.
Attorney Stephen J. Telkin of East St. Louis represents Moslander
St. Clair County Circuit Court Case No. 12-L-523
- Brawl over bargaining bill resumes; With no AFSCME contract, stakes are high
- Motorist blames El Greco pizza driver for her injuries
- Wood River customer blames Captain D's for fall, injuries
- Motorist alleges another driver's negligence caused accident, injuries
- Daughter blames Gateway Regional Medical, doctor for mother's death
- Parents blame Norfolk Southern Railway for son's death
- Letter supporting Sen. Kirk's call for DOJ to pursue Backpage.com
- Obama calls for building better politics; GOP focuses on his remarks on redistricting
- Rauner’s lawsuit reforms will create jobs in Illinois
- Legal immigration under certain circumstances