A September crash involving an ambulance driver responding to an emergency at an I-55 rest stop in Alhambra is subject of a new Madison County lawsuit.
Rayburn Conway claims he was riding in a Kenworth motor conventional cab on Sept. 17 that Daniel D. Eddinger was driving south in the right-hand lane of Interstate 55 near mile post 28 when defendant Theodore W. Berg Jr., who was driving an ambulance for defendant Alhambra-Hamel Ambulance Service, suddenly turned right onto the exit ramp for the rest area, according to the complaint filed Nov. 19.
“While operating the Kenworth Motor Conventional Cab, Daniel Eddinger was unable to stop, and the front end of his vehicle collided with the right side of the vehicle driven by Theodore W. Berg Jr.,” the suit states.
Because of the collision, Conway claims he sustained severe injuries to his neck, back, leg and knees; endured fractured ribs; and suffered from a lacerated kidney, which may have to be removed, the complaint says. Conway claims he also lost control of his bladder, has been unable to attend to his usual duties, lost wages, suffered pain and incurred disability.
Conway blames Berg for causing the collision, saying he negligently attempted to drive the wrong way on a ramp, failed to give any notice of his plan to turn onto the ramp, drove too fast, failed to keep the ambulance under control and made an illegal lane change.
Conway is seeking a judgment of more than $200,000, plus costs.
According to a news reports about the incident, the ambulance was hit by the cab and overturned as it made a sudden turn to the right, in an attempt to go up the wrong way on the exit. The four occupants of the two vehicles were treated for serious injuries at Anderson Hospital in Maryville.
Bernard J. Ysursa of Cook, Ysursa, Bartholomew, Brauer and Shevlin in Belleville will be representing him.
Madison County Circuit Court case number: 12-L-1894.
- St. Clair County real estate May 28-June 3
- St. Clair County foreclosures June 3-8
- Madison County real estate May 28-June 2
- Madison County foreclosures June 4-11
- Madison County Civil Docket: 6/22 - 6/26/2015
- Madison County Asbestos Motion Docket: 6/26/2015
- Court: Comcast must disclose ID of commenter accused of calling politician ‘Sandusky waiting to be exposed’
- MCBA and Granite City attorney recognized for pro bono work
- Illinois CUB fails to provide accurate info on Clean Jobs Bill, economic development consultant says
- Rauner ad campaign begins; House-approved work comp proposal 'so bad' says Republican lawmaker