A Madison County business has filed two separate suits against its insurance company and a neighboring business, claiming it incurred more than $150,000 worth of expenses when a fire destroyed its property.
Family Pool Center alleges it and defendant Colour Room were both tenants in a building at 3533 Highway 162 in Granite City when a fire erupted at the premises on Oct. 17, 2010. Because of the blaze, Family Pool Center lost $150,000 worth of personal property, according to the complaint filed Oct. 26 in Madison County Circuit Court.
Family Pool Center blames Colour Room for causing the fire, saying it failed to install insulation in a proper manner and covered electrical or lighting equipment with insulation allowing heat to build up and fire to ignite.
Following the fire, Family Pool Center attempted to collect money from the carrier of its insurance policy, defendant American Family Mutual Insurance Company, the suit states.
However, insurance agent Kathleen M. Goclan allegedly failed to procure the coverage that Family Pool Center sought, the complaint says. In turn, American Family Mutual Insurance Company refused to pay Family Pool Center the damages it sought, it claims.
In its complaint against Colour Room, Family Pool Center is seeking a judgment of more than $50,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems just.
In its second complaint against Goclan and American Family Mutual Insurance Company, Family Pool Center is seeking a judgment of more than $200,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems just.
James E. Gorman and Michael J. Hertz of Lucco, Brown, Threlkeld and Dawson will be representing it in both cases.
Madison County Circuit Court case numbers: 12-L-1754, 12-L-1755.
- Father says medical center, doctor failed to aid his abused daughter
- Estate administrator seeks compensation from health care providers
- Car passenger blames driver, Kilian Corp. for accident that caused injuries
- St. Clair County woman blames Golden State Foods for injuries at McDonald's
- Patient claims misdiagnosed infection led to amputation
- Parents blame driver for injuries daughter suffered in accident
- Five auto passengers seek damages from motorist who allegedly drove into their vehicle
- Wigginton plans to step down next month, will move into private practice in St. Louis
- Couple blames motorist for causing head-on vehicle collision
- Motorist blames another driver for chain-reaction accident