A Madison County business has filed two separate suits against its insurance company and a neighboring business, claiming it incurred more than $150,000 worth of expenses when a fire destroyed its property.
Family Pool Center alleges it and defendant Colour Room were both tenants in a building at 3533 Highway 162 in Granite City when a fire erupted at the premises on Oct. 17, 2010. Because of the blaze, Family Pool Center lost $150,000 worth of personal property, according to the complaint filed Oct. 26 in Madison County Circuit Court.
Family Pool Center blames Colour Room for causing the fire, saying it failed to install insulation in a proper manner and covered electrical or lighting equipment with insulation allowing heat to build up and fire to ignite.
Following the fire, Family Pool Center attempted to collect money from the carrier of its insurance policy, defendant American Family Mutual Insurance Company, the suit states.
However, insurance agent Kathleen M. Goclan allegedly failed to procure the coverage that Family Pool Center sought, the complaint says. In turn, American Family Mutual Insurance Company refused to pay Family Pool Center the damages it sought, it claims.
In its complaint against Colour Room, Family Pool Center is seeking a judgment of more than $50,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems just.
In its second complaint against Goclan and American Family Mutual Insurance Company, Family Pool Center is seeking a judgment of more than $200,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems just.
James E. Gorman and Michael J. Hertz of Lucco, Brown, Threlkeld and Dawson will be representing it in both cases.
Madison County Circuit Court case numbers: 12-L-1754, 12-L-1755.
- St. Clair County real estate May 28-June 3
- St. Clair County foreclosures June 3-8
- Madison County real estate May 28-June 2
- Madison County foreclosures June 4-11
- Madison County Civil Docket: 6/22 - 6/26/2015
- Madison County Asbestos Motion Docket: 6/26/2015
- Court: Comcast must disclose ID of commenter accused of calling politician ‘Sandusky waiting to be exposed’
- MCBA and Granite City attorney recognized for pro bono work
- Illinois CUB fails to provide accurate info on Clean Jobs Bill, economic development consultant says
- Rauner ad campaign begins; House-approved work comp proposal 'so bad' says Republican lawmaker