A Madison County business has filed two separate suits against its insurance company and a neighboring business, claiming it incurred more than $150,000 worth of expenses when a fire destroyed its property.
Family Pool Center alleges it and defendant Colour Room were both tenants in a building at 3533 Highway 162 in Granite City when a fire erupted at the premises on Oct. 17, 2010. Because of the blaze, Family Pool Center lost $150,000 worth of personal property, according to the complaint filed Oct. 26 in Madison County Circuit Court.
Family Pool Center blames Colour Room for causing the fire, saying it failed to install insulation in a proper manner and covered electrical or lighting equipment with insulation allowing heat to build up and fire to ignite.
Following the fire, Family Pool Center attempted to collect money from the carrier of its insurance policy, defendant American Family Mutual Insurance Company, the suit states.
However, insurance agent Kathleen M. Goclan allegedly failed to procure the coverage that Family Pool Center sought, the complaint says. In turn, American Family Mutual Insurance Company refused to pay Family Pool Center the damages it sought, it claims.
In its complaint against Colour Room, Family Pool Center is seeking a judgment of more than $50,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems just.
In its second complaint against Goclan and American Family Mutual Insurance Company, Family Pool Center is seeking a judgment of more than $200,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems just.
James E. Gorman and Michael J. Hertz of Lucco, Brown, Threlkeld and Dawson will be representing it in both cases.
Madison County Circuit Court case numbers: 12-L-1754, 12-L-1755.
- Retired federal judge Stiehl passes away at age 90
- Why Indiana's population grows faster than Illinois'
- Former judge Murphy sues insurer to force payment for suspicious fire
- Motorist blames two drivers for injuries in chain reaction collision
- Belleville attorney alleges legal malpractice suit barred by statute of limitations
- Flooring companies seek to dismiss man’s lawsuit alleging chemical exposures caused Parkinson’s disease
- Wal-Mart removes customer’s suit alleging injuries from automatic doors
- Belleclair Fairgrounds Park denies liability in man’s suit alleging collapsed chair
- Collinsville attorney and adoption agency deny liability in botched adoption
- Injured customer blames Walmart for slippery floor