Kaz fan caused house fire, suit claims

Andrea Dearden Jan. 30, 2012, 5:25am


The owner of a Belleville home and her roommate say a utility fan caused their house to catch fire.

Laurie Thompson and Zachary Shaffer filed a lawsuit Jan. 10 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Kaz USA Inc.

According to the complaint, Thompson and Shaffer had a Kaz Pro-Series Utility Dual Power Fan, Model HV-120, in the house they shared on East Monroe Street in Belleville. The man and woman say a fire at the house in January 2010 caused them both to be injured. They allege the fire started in the utility fan which was purchased in August 2007.

Thompson and Shaffer claim Kaz USA is liable for their injuries and the fire-related damage to the home owned by Thompson. They accuse the company of negligence, saying it should have known it was selling a defective product.

Thompson and Shaffer are asking for more than $200,000 in damages for home repairs, medical expenses, lost wages and court costs.

Attorney Samantha S. Unsell, of Belleville's Thomas Q. Keefe Jr. law firm, is representing Thompson and Shaffer.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case No. 12-L-0015

More News