Glen Carbon nursing home resident claims heat stroke in suit

Andrea Dearden Jul. 21, 2011, 4:54am


A resident of a Glen Carbon nursing home says a faulty furnace caused her to suffer heat stroke in her room.

Dorothy Stimson filed a lawsuit July 1 in Madison County Circuit Court against Eden Village Care Center and Cummings Heating & Cooling Inc.

Stimson says she was living in room 403B of Eden Village Care Center in May 2009. During her stay in the room, Stimson says the furnace had several problems including a stuck heat sequencer and a broken control board.

Cummings Heating & Cooling was the company that allegedly serviced the equipment during that time. Stimson claims one night in October 2010 the malfunctioning furnace heated the nursing home room to a temperature of 110 degrees.

Stimson says the excessive heat caused her to suffer heat stroke. The woman was allegedly found on the floor the next morning, unconscious near death from exposure to the extreme heat.

Stimson accuses Eden Village and Cummings Heating & Cooling of negligence for not providing a safe, working furnace in her room. She asks for at least $100,000 in damages for medical expenses and court costs.

Attorneys Christopher M. Donohoo of East Alton and Bob Perica of Wood River are representing Stimson. They ask for a jury trial.

More News