Assisted living center sued after resident trips on telephone wire, dies

Kelly Holleran Jan. 19, 2011, 10:40am

A woman died from complications after tripping on a telephone wire stretched into a walkway at an assisted living facility, according to allegations in a recently filed lawsuit.

David L. Hubert filed a lawsuit Dec. 21 in St. Clair County Circuit Court against Cambridge House of O'Fallon and BMA Management.

While David Hubert's deceased relative, Anastasia J. Hubert, attempted to navigate a hallway at Cambridge House on Feb. 2, she tripped over a telephone cord adjacent to a third floor nurse's desk, David Hubert claims.

Because of her fall, Anastasia J. Hubert sustained a spinal fracture of the distal right femur, which caused her overall well-being to decline, the suit states. Subsequently, Hubert developed pneumonia and died, the complaint says.

Anastasia Hubert's injuries caused her to incur medical costs, to experience great pain and suffering and to sustain a significant loss of her normal life, David Hubert claims.

Because of Anastasia Hubert's death, her family lost her society, according to the complaint.

David Hubert blames the assisted living facility and its management for causing Anastasia J. Hubert's death, saying they negligently allowed a telephone cord to be left in a walkway, allowed a telephone cord to be placed on a walkway without securing it with tape and installed the telephone in such a way that it became a tripping hazard for Anastasia Hubert.

In his two-count complaint, David L. Hubert seeks a judgment of more than $200,000, plus costs and other relief the court deems just.

Robert H. Gregory of the Law Office of Robert H. Gregory in East Alton will be representing him.

St. Clair County Circuit Court case number: 10-L-661.

More News